Monday, July 2, 2007

Step 3 - getting the permit

I wanted to pull the permit myself. What that means is that the permit will be in my name and I will be responsible for making sure all the tasks required by the building department are completed. The tasks include the proper inspections for foundation, rough, insulation, plumbing rough, electrical rough, plumbing final, electrical final and final. As a structural engineer, it is not typical that I would get involved in this. When I work for a client, I create the drawings and the contractor pulls the permit. However, I wanted to experience this part of the job with my own house. I wanted to 'feel the pain' so to speak.

I went to the building department and filled out the permit application. There are hours each day that are alloted for people to do this. 'People' include homeowners as well as contractors. I stood in line - I think I was 4th. The woman in front of me wanted to pull her own permit for the job she wanted done - the building inspector talked her out of it. When my turn came, I explained to the building inspector that I wanted to pull the permit myself - he was skeptical. The building departments don't like homeowners in Massachusetts to pull their own permits because of the protection given to homeowners through the Home Improvement Contractor's Program. This program has the potential to provide some financial compensation to homeowners if a job goes awry. As long as the person pulling the permit has a Home Improvement Contractor's License (which anyone working for you should), they will be paying a fee to the state which goes into the Home Improvement Program kitty to fund expenses for the program to pay out. I do not have a Home Improvement Contractor's license. I explained to the building inspector that I was a structural engineer (which has a totally different licensing requirement) and I wanted to experience pulling the permit myself - I told him that I knew what that responsibility entails. He reluctantly did allow me to get my permit myself.

July 16, 2009

I was off to a good start - things could move forward now...

No comments:

Post a Comment